Ole Gunnar Solskjaer responds to Gary Neville and Rio Ferdinand’s complaints over Man Utd’s transfer business

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer responds to Gary Neville and Rio Ferdinand’s complaints over Man Utd’s transfer business


Gary Neville branded Manchester United’s efforts in the transfer window as ‘appalling’ (Picture: Getty)

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has invited the clutch of Manchester United legends who have criticised the club’s transfer activity this summer to talk to him in person, rather than air their grievances in such a public fashion.

The Norwegian had hoped to accelerate his rebuilding project this summer with the addition of at least three new signings but has been largely frustrated in his efforts to strengthen his squad with less than a week of the summer window remaining.

United are set to abandon their hopes of prising No.1 target Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund and are struggling to agree a fee with Porto for their Brazilian left-back Alex Telles, while hopes of recruiting a new centre-half to provide competition for Harry Maguire, Victor Lindelof and Eric Bailly appear remote.

Donny van de Beek remains the only headline arrival so far this summer which prompted Gary Neville to brand his old club’s efforts in the market as appalling, while the likes of Rio Ferdinand, Patrice Evra and Darren Fletcher have also been highly critical.

‘Well as I said here, we have players to get results,’ Solskjaer said attempting to talk up the strength of his current squad ahead of Sunday’s match against Tottenham.

Donny van de Beek is the only major signing made by Man Utd this summer (Picture: Getty)

‘Patrice, Rio, Gary, Fletch, they have always been welcome here to talk to me instead of… they are doing their jobs. It’s their jobs so we can allow them to do their jobs but we’re all wanting Man United as high as possible.’

Solskjaer, however, did admit he made an error when claiming earlier this summer that United were in a strong position to ‘exploit’ the transfer market and potentially capitalise on the financial constraints their rivals were operating under.

‘I think my wording in lockdown ‘exploit’ was a bad word by me,’ said Solskjaer. ‘I didn’t mean in that respect, I meant clubs out there have to move because of the situation and it might be a situation for us, at the moment we’ve not had the, what’s the word, there’s not been those situations.

‘We’ve lost loads of money as the other clubs have as well. And when I talk about the squad depth, of course the performances didn’t warrant me giving more of them more options, the 11 12 13 players deserved to play they played really well, fitness sharpness you need to.

‘I think it’s a different scenario now, seen many other of the other players who didn’t play too well the other season play really well.’

MORE: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer responds to Jose Mourinho’s dig about Manchester United’s penalties

MORE: Manchester United’s stance on Edinson Cavani & Luka Jovic transfers

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *