The eagerly-awaited return of the Champions League means some of the biggest stars in world football are back on our screens.
The 2019/20 Champions League season was put on hold in March amid the coronavirus pandemic, with just four of the eight round-of-16 ties concluded.
The European campaign resumed on Friday night with Lyon and Man City progressing to the quarter-finals by beating Juventus and Real Madrid respectively.
Meanwhile, Barcelona’s clash against Napoli – scheduled for the following night – is firmly poised after a 1-1 draw in the first leg.
Chelsea also face a near impossible talk of reversing a 3-0 scoreline against Bayern Munich in Germany.
The return of Europe’s premier competition means we again have the privilege of witnessing yet more brilliance from the world’s star duo – Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
Messi, 33, and Ronaldo, 35, are showing no signs of slowing down, and Ronaldo proved his remarkable talent by scoring twice against Lyon on Friday.
This campaign, Barcelona icon Messi has scored 24 goals in 31 appearances across all competitions – including two in Europe.
Juventus star Ronaldo, meanwhile, headed into the Juve vs Lyon clash with 25 strikes in 32 games, adding two more goals with his brace in Turin.
Both have an incredible history in the competition and there is no doubt they will be forever linked to it thanks to their stunning records and achievements which have wowed the world.
Below, talkSPORT.com has delved through the archives to find some of the duo’s incredible stats and honours whilst appearing in this highly-coveted competition…
Ronaldo’s Champions League stats
With thanks to Opta, we trawl through some incredible records and numbers produced by the Portuguese forward
– Ronaldo has scored 130 Champions League goals in just 170 games.
– The bulk of Ronaldo’s prolific tally came at Real Madrid, scoring 105 times in just 101 appearances.
– Ronaldo’s minutes-per-goal figure at Madrid clocks was 86.
– Since joining Juventus at the start of the 2018/19 campaign, Ronaldo has ten goals in 17 Champions League outings.
– No player has more than Ronaldo’s eight Champions League hat-tricks, a feat matched by Messi.
– Ronaldo has scored against 33 Champions League opponents. Only Messi has scored against more (34).
– Ronaldo’s 17 goals in Madrid’s triumphant 2013/14 campaign is the most scored by a player in a single Champions League campaign.
– The Portuguese star previously found the net 10 times against his current club side Juventus – the most for any player against a single Champions League opponent.
– Only player to score in three UEFA Champions League finals
– Only player to score in all six games in a UEFA Champions League group
– Only player to score in 11 straight UEFA Champions League games
– Ronaldo is also the player with the most UEFA Champions League final wins: 5
Messi’s Champions League stats
The Barcelona talisman continues to dazzle on the highest stage
– Most UEFA Champions League group stage goals: 68
– Most UEFA Champions League round of 16 goals: 26
– Second-highest goalscorer in the Champions League: 114
– All of Messi’s Champions League goals have come for Barca, making him the leading goalcorer for a single club in the competition: 114
– Messi shares the record for most Champions League hat-tricks with Ronaldo: 8
– Champions League wins: 4
– Messi has finished as the highest goalscorer in a single Champions League on six occasions (2008/09, 2009/10, 2010/11, 2011/12, 2014/15 and 2018/19).
– Messi has made the second highest number of appearances for Barcelona in the Champions League: 141
– Messi is also the sixth all-time appearance holder in the competition.
– The Argentina superstar has scored against 34 Champions League opponents, one more than Ronaldo.