Fulham back in the Premier League after beating Brentford in the play-off final

Fulham back in the Premier League after beating Brentford in the play-off final

Bryan was at the double (Picture: Getty Images)

Fulham have sealed an immediate return to the Premier League after Joe Bryan’s extra-time double fired the Whites to a 2-1 win over Brentford in the Championship play-off final.

After a goalless 90 minutes at Wembley, left-back Bryan’s ambitious long-range free-kick caught out scrambling Bees keeper David Raya at his near post, and the defender then followed up with a smart finish to seal the win with minutes to go.

Henrik Daalsgard’s header in the final minute clawed back some hope for Brentford, making it 2-1, but it wasn’t to be enough on the night.

It was a tightly-contested final at Wembley, with big chances few and far between, but, it was Scott Parker’s side that bounced straight back to England’s top flight.

Fulham spent just one season away from the Premier League after coming up via the 2018 play-offs.

The west London club’s stay was short-lived, as they were sent back down to the Championship after one year, in what was a dismal campaign.

Fulham now join Leeds United and West Bromwich Albion as the three teams promoted to the Premier League, with Norwich City, Bournemouth and Watford going the other way.

Brentford will feel aggrieved having had two chances in the final week to seal the second automatic promotion spot, losing to Stoke City and Barnsley.

Bryan was the match-winner (Picture: Getty Images)

It was a cagey first half at Wembley, with Fulham enjoying the majority of the possession.

Brentford keeper David Raya made two good saves from Josh Onomah in the first period to keep the score at 0-0.

Harrison Reed gave referee Martin Atkinson a decision to make when he flew into a studs-up challenge on Christian Norgaard, but got away with just a yellow.

Fulham are back in the Premier League (Picture: Getty Images)

In the second half, Neeskens Kebano came close to scoring another one of his trademark free-kicks, but it wasn’t to be this time as his effort hit the side-netting.

Bobby Decordova-Reid let a good chance pass him by as he swivelled to hit a shot which sailed past Raya’s post.

Brentford’s dangerous striker Ollie Watkins let rip at Fulham’s goal on the 70-minute mark, but Marek Rodak tipped it over the bar.

The game was locked at 0-0 after 90 minutes, with extra time needed to separate the two sides.

The cagey nature of the match continued into added time, however, Bryan’s bright thinking managed to catch Raya out with a clever free-kick.

Parker put everyone behind the ball and clung on, before the left-back’s one-two with Aleksandar Mitrovic presented him a chance to finish the game, which he did with style, slotting the ball under Raya with his weaker right foot.

Henrik Dalsgaard converted a header from Christian Norgaard’s ball across the penalty area in the last minute, but there wasn’t enough time for an equaliser and it’s Fulham that have regained their Premier League status.

MORE: David Beckham’s life after football career ‘to be centre of new documentary series for Netflix or Amazon’

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

For more stories like this, check our sport page

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *